Thursday, September 5, 2013

Adv. Comp.: Setting Up Pulse for News Reading

Pulse.me is pretty cool, and I have had many students over the last two years tell me that they really enjoyed it's graphic interface.  Pulse.me is also very forward-leaning with respect to current web technologies.  Here's a paragraph, written by Seth Rosenblatt at Cnet and posted about a year ago:

Pulse's Web app at Pulse.me is built entirely from HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript, and indicates that the future-Web technologies are rapidly approaching a state where they can easily re-create native app experiences in the browser. The site is accessible from most major browsers on traditional PCs and mobile devices. With the touch-focused Windows 8 and its associated touch screen hardware coming at the end of October, the site has been specifically designed to be touch-friendly.


Also, I found that Pulse's core mission is agreeable to the modern writing class and very much agreeable to me personally.
In class we discussed the way to set-up your pulse.me account and feed, and I encouraged you to download the app corresponding to your smart phone and/or tablet.

Once logged in, you are to include "News" as a category and add five feeds that I require: The Daily Beast, Salon, Slate, The New Yorker, and The Atlantic.  When you click on your news category the feeds should look like this:






After setting up "News" then you should add seven of these "required" feed-categories:




Your final list should look something like this:





Now, finally for this first step, add two articles for future reading from all eight categories or at least 16 total (for now at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your effort to keep the conversation and learning going!