Thursday, September 13, 2012

Adv. Comp. - some help with the "selfie" (cross-posted from an email)

Dear Students,

So I've been thinking a lot about my request for you to bring a picture of yourself for your research website, and, well, I have mixed feelings about it.  I realize that you are really rather young (17 - 18), so I can understand your age-based (maybe its akward?) hesitation to want to share a photo openly on the internet.

But, having said that, I also think as writers developing a presence and online personality is something your generation must do.

Well ... let's keep talking about it ...

Here are some thoughts for tmrw.

1. these sites are avail. for ONLY those who have the link and are not searchable in any search engine

2. there are ways around the "ugly" "selfie" or really any picture that puts you in an unkind light ... for instance,

a. make a caricature of a photo

b. or take a selfie like one of these

(BTW - there are some really, really awesome self-portraits at the site above; I love the ones that are reflections.)

Dr. Jones

P.S. I also love that Photoshop-thing with the $5 bill ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to comment on my blog. I appreciate your effort to keep the conversation and learning going!